FGBC is starting a community garden!
What: a community garden - a place where people from the church and from the surrounding community can sign up for a plot (with a small fee for the season) and grow their own plants
Where: on the currently empty lot beside the church
When: asap! We are going to be starting this month to put plots in and get everything organized so that planting can begin in May
Who: FBGC/Lighthouse - we would love for you to be involved by having a plot, helping with working bees or donating items!
Why: we believe that by establishing a community garden we can cultivate relationships within our church and with our neighbours, relationships that glorify our God, who is a relational God. We pray that God will use this space to connect people with each other, with God’s creation, and with God’s self.
How you can help:
- Prayer - please pray that God’s will would be done in and through this project, please pray for energy and wisdom in the phase of creating this space, please pray that God would guide those who would benefit from having a plot to this garden
- Working bees - come out and help us in the creation of a garden!
- May 2nd (Sunday) 1pm - 4pm - leveling the plot, constructing boxes, filling with soil
**We really need trucks, tools (shovels, rakes, brooms, tarps), and hands to help with moving soil and constructing plots!**
- Please let us know if you are able to be involved with the working bee by emailing CommunityGardenFGBC@gmail.com or calling/texting one of us (see contact information below)
- Donations - we are starting from scratch and would love it if you have items or money you could donate for the garden! Monetary donations can be made by e-transfering Fort George Baptist Church (email@example.com) with the memo ‘for community garden’. Please contact CommunityGardenFGBC@gmail.com about where to bring the items. Here are some items we are currently looking for:
- Watering cans
- Lock (for bin to keep items in)
- Hand tools (e.g, trowels)
- Gardening gloves
- Outdoor trash cans
- Chains (for picnic table/benches)
- Free Little Library
- Garden Experts - if you have extensive experience gardening please consider being added to our list of expert gardeners! These are people who are available to help out any new gardeners as they start, troubleshoot, and harvest their plots.
Please contact us (CommunitygardenFGBC@gmail.com) if you have any questions or want to be involved in any way! We would love to hear from you! You can also phone or text Clarissa (250-981-7936), Maria (250-640-5408), or Ashley (778-890-0955).